Wednesday, September 19, 2012

the saved life

When I talk to people about living a life for Christ, the term "saved" becomes inevitable. A common stereotype is that being saved lacks excitement and pleasure. Yes, it requires eliminating things that clearly aren't pleasing to God, but there's so much more to gain from having a relationship with Him.

Besides the future tense of being saved when the rapture occurs, I like to think of it in the present tense. For me, one of the greatest benefits is being rescued from the worries of this present time.

One of my favorite passages of scripture is found in Matthew Chapter 6:
v. 31 Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed?
v. 32 (For all these things do the Gentiles seek:) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things.
v. 33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.


Verse 33 is often quoted in church and has helped me tremendously on this journey. I can say with confidence that seeking God before all else leads to a life in which all my needs are met. But He also gives "extra" which I like to call the perks. To name a few: peace of mind, joy in being just who He made me to be, and casting all my cares, doubts, and fears upon Him that he may direct my paths.

As far as the tangible perks, by putting Him first I've seen His power and his favor work mightily on my behalf; in my career, my finances, and other situations that I know were only made possible because of the Lord Jesus Christ.

So being saved is not just about what’s to come. There are immediate benefits to tap into right here, right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment