Monday, September 10, 2012

Dare to be Different

Does anyone remember playing truth or dare when they were young? If you were like me, you always opted for "truth" because "dare" was sure to be something outlandish like run outside in the nude, or ring the doorbell of the mean old lady down the block.   

One reason I chose to do this blog was because people often view living holy as outlandish and out of the norm. This, from a generation that supposedly celebrates uniqueness and individuality yet they can’t seem to fathom a young person choosing to spend the majority of her free time in church.

So I dare to be different. By definition, dare means the necessary courage or boldness for something, to meet defiantly, or to face courageously. Living a life for Jesus definitely takes courage, but it also takes a high degree of boldness. This is an area where I struggle big time. Inside the church, I’m very reserved even when I feel the Holy Spirit tugging at me to give God more radical praise and worship that I know He deserves. Outside the church, I shy away from conversations about my faith. I also choose not to force my beliefs on others because I feel that by doing so, it can alienate people instead of draw them in.

What it really boils down to is my own self-consciousness and anxiety issues. Despite these things, I recognize that it’s my responsibility to tell others about the urgency of salvation. I fully believe in the rapture, heaven, and hell; the latter of which I don’t want to see anyone end up.

So, I need to do better. Lord, help me to take my eyes off of self to help others see you. Help me to get over myself and dare to be different. In Jesus name I pray.

No comments:

Post a Comment