Thursday, October 4, 2012

grace and mercy

Have you ever talked bad about someone behind their back and then felt guilty because they turned around and did something nice for you? I'm sure I'm not the only one. I've had this happen and I must say it sucks. You want to accept the nice thing (and most of the time you do) but you feel like a scumbag because of what you said about the person the day before.

In an earlier blog post I talked about my anger towards God for taking too long to send a particular blessing I've been waiting on. And how does He respond?

Yesterday I found out that after just a year and a half of being at my job, I've been nominated for a major award. This award comes with recognition by the company's senior leaders, admiration from your peers who nominate you...oh, and a pretty piece of paper that says "this is 'how much' we recognize and admire you." Needless to say, I'm honored and excited, but as I said it's hard not to feel like a scumbag.

But God (smh!)--with His endless love--quietly reminded me of something this morning: His grace and mercy will NEVER run out.

There's a song by Lonnie Hunter that I love. In the beginning of the song Lonnie defines grace and mercy as this: grace is when you get more than you deserve, mercy is when you don't get exactly what you do deserve. So in other words, by receiving this nomination the Lord just hit me with a double whammy of grace AND mercy.

I also love the song's chorus which says, "I don't deserve it, so unworthy, but you bless me anyway." I don't know how or why He does it, but I know it's appropriate to say thanks.

THANK YOU JESUS

Signed,
Scumbag

2 comments:

  1. Great Post...Revelation 3:19 NLT...I correct and discipline everyone I love. So be diligent and turn from your indifference. I'm so thankful for GOD's love and his mercy and grace; even thru our feelings of guilt and shame. He know our heart..so thank you so much for the reminder that we are going to have those feelings (guilt, etc.) sometimes but realize we can always reflect back on them and return back to a more positive way of thinking..God's way...GOD Bless!

    Yvonne:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. couldn't have said it better Yvonne. Thanks for the scripture reference! bless you much!

    ReplyDelete